Return to homepage
Today while I was working on the puppet and moving around the arms and legs, making sure everything is still in working order, I discovered two joints where the solder had broke. The left ankle (which is understandable, considering its one of the tightest joints in the armature) and the left shoulder.
It was a pretty quick fix. I just heated it up and re-soldered the ball to the rod and they were as good as new.
One of the cool things I discovered was by using a ‘threaded’ ball and rod, when a joint breaks, it doesn’t come completely apart. The threads hold the joint together even though they’re loose.
The broken joints had a little play in them, but I think they could of still been animated in a pinch, like if they had broke in the middle of a shot.
I wanted to let the joints sit stress free for a while before moving them around, so I skiped padding the rest of the body and I made a pair of pants instead. I used t-shirt material and then my acrylics to paint them.
The right leg is finished and the left just has the first pass of color.
See you tomorrow
Read the previous update