ART RANT!

Dominic Monaghan as Charlie Pace, Lost sketch Card © 2012 Jeff Lafferty
I got a little more done on the lost card...

This one has defiantly stalled a bit, and its taking quite a while to finish.

I think the reason I’m having trouble with it is, a combination of the different paper and just ‘a lot’ of stress around here lately.

I mentioned this on my other site, but not here. My wife’s getting laid off in six weeks.

The store she works at is closing up and basically she’s either got to take a cut in pay and loose her benefits, or just leave.

So, since I‘ve always been able to make quite a bit more than her, I’ll probably be going back into painting/construction this spring.

Which is fine, I’m sure we’ll be okay … but it would just be nice if the art thing would work out for once!

I’d like to think I’ll be able to make enough on my cards to support us by myself, but I kind of doubt it.

The art industry is just so upside down, its ridiculous! For every paying job, there’s two hundred people lined up behind you that will do it for less, or worse … for free, for the exposure!!!

I can tell you, after being in and out of this business for twenty some odd years, when someone says something like this “Hi pal, you’re an awesome artist!!! I want you to draw this awesome thing!!! Now, I can’t afford to pay you anything, (not one thin dime!) but if you do it, your artwork will be published!!! and you’ll get all this great exposure!!!” Once this awesome thing comes out, you’ll be so famous you can write your own ticket!!!“

… what they’re actually saying is “your too stupid to realize it, but I’m going to get filthy rich, while you spend your nights wotking at a gas station to support yourself, sucker!”

…and what gets me is people fall head over heels to get onboard with that.

If you don’t believe me, just take a look at the comic book industry (I was going to say sketch cards, but that whole thing, the official sets … are just so screwed up and everybody in that industry is so deluded its all just hopeless!)

Ahhh … I wrote a whole big rant about comics, but I ran out of steam before it got finished.

My point is, it just sucks being an artist, sometimes.

Jeff
read the previous update ...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeff I'm sorry to hear about the job problems. We've talked about it before and as each day passes I believe I end up closer and closer to your side of the table. Exposure is vital to an artist's career, but it should not be used as the only form of compensation. If anyone can make it on their art it's you buddy, don't give up the fight.

Shelley Noble said...

Sex and cash. Hugh's essay on day jobs and passion, etc.

Would be great if art paid for you to live a humble life.

1,000 True Fans, Kevin Kelly's essay on how any sort of artist can live if they get $100/year product buying support from 1,000 people. I call it mini Medici. And it is possible today.

Start your own original comic that would appeal to 5,000 rabid fans at $15 for the year to yield you $75,000.

Anonymous said...

i agree with your observation my friend. artists are no mor than dogs to publisher

Albrecht

Justin said...

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Jeff. It's ridiculous how much people ask of artists sometimes.

What's your "other site"? I follow this one and your Deviantart quite regularly.

Jeff Lafferty said...

Thanks Brandon, I’m not giving up. I just get pissed off about it all sometimes.

Thanks Shelley, but your 'kind of' preaching to the choir. That’s the idea behind my whole sketch card thing and this site … and it works, just not well enough sometimes.

Thank you Albrecht

Thanks Justin, Its CurseOfTheWolfsHeart.com

Jeff